Monday, August 10, 2009

Bishop Museum Hawaiian Hall - Master Artisans







( pictures of master artisans: Ipo Vaughan’s lauhala box; Kana‘e Keawe’s pahu (drum);Paulette Kahalepuna w/ a modern rendition of an ‘ahu‘ula/Hawaiian cape; Paulette Kahelpuna's feather lei.)




Upon entering the museum, one comes into the MAMO Exhibition featuring the works of contemporary Hawaiian artists. Aunty Mary Lou Kekuewa’s family cape and Aunty Gussie Bento’s beautiful kapa kuiki (Hawaiian quilt) immediately grabbed my attention. An Uncle Kawika Parker’s painting also attracted my admiration. I need to go back and spend time there. Outside on the museum grounds, master craftsmen and artisans displayed their talent.

Upon entering Hawaiian Hall proper one’s sensations are struck by beautiful sounds and the feeling of entering Hawai‘i kahiko. Gazing to my right I saw the beautiful Kumulipo panels, I believe, of the late Brother Carl Pao. The style is distinctively his but I could not get up close to see the titling. Center stage of that is David Kalama’s* video masterpiece . I just wanted to sit and relax to the sound of waves running over ‘ili‘ili but the procession wins around the stage and refurbished Hale Pili, beautifully restored by Pömaika‘i Crozier with the help of students from Farrington High School.
The bottom floor reflects the origins of our Hawaiian people and hence much is dedicated to the gods Kāne, Kū, and Lono. I did not see a display to Kanaloa but the whole floor respesents his realm. In addition to the restored palaoa/whale hanging above, there are also other sea creatures of Kanaloa such as hīhīmanu and fish.
*There are 2 David Kalama videographers. This David Kalama is of “‘Onipa‘a” acclaim.


No comments:

Post a Comment